Economical, Efficient, Exceptional
Water transportation is quickly becoming one of the most attractive, affordable options for moving liquid, dry and specialty cargos to points along the U.S. river system and international ports. Not only does marine transportation offer environmental and safety advantages, it also presents a more economical and efficient alternative to trucks, rail and air.
With one of the industry’s most diversified fleets, a wide range of capabilities, and end-to-end service, Marquette creates the long-term value today’s business and industry demand.
Contact a sales representative to learn more about our customized transportation solutions or request a quote for your next product move.
- Cargo Capacity
- Equivalent Units
- Equivalent Lengths
Economic Advantages by the Numbers
- When compared to other transportation modes, transporting bulk goods by water results in a 35 percent reduction in transportation costs.
- The value of waterway transportation is based on its low cost. Barges move 16% of domestic intercity freight for less than 2% of freight costs.
- Barges save shippers over $7 billion annually on products shipped by barge:
- Texas shippers, their customers and suppliers save $1.5 billion
- Missouri: $14 million
- Illinois: $45 million
- Ohio: $29 million
- Savings in health-related costs probably exceed $1 billion for Ohio River barge traffic.
- The sugar industry in the Rio Grande Valley would not exist without barge transportation.